Post by Boo Destroyer on Jul 14, 2010 1:04:41 GMT -5
Which parts in the SSE's cutscenes did you like the most? Some of my top picks range from the following:
1. Lucas generally being timid and scared shitless of the enemies around him and the Pig King Statue. But when he bumps into Red later, he helps him out in becoming more brave as their adventure goes on. When faced with Galleom and almost meeting their doom with him, Red passes out somehow, so it's all on Lucas to save him and himself from this disaster, as a result of being brave around Red! My, how that says a lot about character development.
2. An interesting clash between two personalities, Captain Falcon and Captain Olimar; captain meets captain. Falcon with his psychedelic gung-ho superhero image and the meek Olimar. And when Falcon decides to go after the enemies like it's nothing, Olimar is not liking that at all. Contrast not only in appearance, but nature! I like that!
3. When Tabuu unleashes his ultimate attack on everyone, rendering them all useless, who's gonna save us all now? Just WHO? Luigi, Ness, and King Dedede. These uncanny three. Whodathunkit now?
There are others too, but I can't think of those at the moment. These are just some of the moments that really reached out to me above all else.
Could have had more "alternate choice" parts, but the three that were there barely had any effect on anything. (I had to play the whole thing over just to see the OTHER useless character make herself extra useless? GEE THANKS FOR THAT PARTICULAR EXTRA)
1. Diddy and DK... Seeing them fight side by side is one thing, but when they are together we get a glimpse of their friendship, which we haven't really seen since the ending credits of DKC. When DK gets kidnapped, Diddy does a great job providing comic relief.
2. King Dedede... Nearly every scene with him is excellent. They stick with him performing villainous deeds, which turn out to actually be for the good of everyone. And the fact he's overjoyed to be reunited with Kirby just underlines his misunderstood hero status. And he flicks Bowser in the nose. Nice!
3. Wario... He jerks around, pulls stupid faces, doesn't listen to anyone else... he's basically just a fantastic version of Wario.
4. The epic battle with the Subspace Gun... It's almost a pointless scene, but it's a huge moment before the big finale. The Halberd is destroyed, and all the other characters head out on their ships. And Olimar's silly little rocket chugs along behind.
I think the excellent taking down of the Subspace Gun was my favorite, mainly because of all of the excellent spaceship cameos it made. Samus, starship, Kirby on the Dragoon, Olimar's Dolphin, Arwings, and the Falcon Flier...great stuff. I think that's when The SSE was at its best - letting these awesome multi-universe moments occur naturally. Wish the game itself had a few more.
Post by nocturnal YL on Aug 3, 2010 2:40:06 GMT -5
Excellent finding, 8bit.
Well, I guess I like the gunship battle the best. Next would be Diddy recruiting Fox and Falco.
It's too bad that the gunship thing was nothing but for show. Becuase, you know, that ship is probably going to be an excellent stage if used.
Off topic here, but one thing I don't like about this game is that it is difficult to keep track with everything. My second favourite franchise of all time, Fire Emblem, is known for some story inconsistancies and difficulty to trace individual characters at times. Yet, Subspace managed to be far worse than that, even with a far lower number of characters.
Nester the Lark: Here's an archive of results from the Everybody Votes channel. I found my poll question in the US English section for September 1, 2009.
Apr 30, 2021 10:14:55 GMT -5
nocturnal YL: Do you consider yourself to be more of a ... Romantic: 39.1% Realist: 60.9% This one, right? So… what's your own vote to that question? (I'd have picked realist.)
May 6, 2021 9:58:40 GMT -5
Nester the Lark: ^ At the time, I think I picked romantic. Not sure what I'd pick today. I feel like I'm somewhere in between.
May 6, 2021 10:54:32 GMT -5
Nester the Lark: Lately, the forum feels more like "Nester & YL's clubhouse."
May 29, 2021 11:45:28 GMT -5
nocturnal YL: Looking at the other members' last online date, I can safely say that this place is pretty much inactive by now.
Jun 12, 2021 1:38:16 GMT -5
Nester the Lark: Looking at an old post I wrote two years ago, I noticed I misspelled "threw" as "through," and now I'm angry at myself.
Jun 13, 2021 16:05:31 GMT -5
nocturnal YL: …Why am I still seeking gaming news when I have 7 games yet to complete and at least 2 more that I plan to get? (EDIT — Oh right, Ys IX has a confirmed release date. That makes at least 3 games I'll get later.)
Jun 14, 2021 10:18:41 GMT -5
nocturnal YL: My current plan is to play Atelier Firis DX now, which online guides suggest is long. Atelier Lydie & Suelle DX will likewise be long (longer than the original too, due to DLC, DX additions and I'll make the best items). I'll maybe play Ys Origin after.
Jun 14, 2021 10:28:43 GMT -5
nocturnal YL: Not sure about what I'll play after. Another Atelier game will probably be out by then, either completing the Secret series or giving us Arland 5. Either way, I'll probably play those before going elsewhere. Dusk will have to wait for quite a bit…
Jun 14, 2021 10:31:02 GMT -5
Nester the Lark: Wondering if I should get Mario Golf at launch or wait a couple of months. I have so many other things to play that my gaming (and wallet) might need a little breathing room.
Jun 17, 2021 9:23:48 GMT -5
Nester the Lark: The problem with playing Hyrule Warriors and a modern Ys game at the same time is that even though the combat feels somewhat similar, the controls are completely different, and I get confused.
Jun 23, 2021 8:57:58 GMT -5
Shrikeswind: Yeah I'm here, but kinda vaguely. Sorry, I haven't had too much to say lately.
Jul 8, 2021 11:28:57 GMT -5
Shrikeswind: By the way, I don't know if you guys have been keeping up with OCR on YouTube, but apparently they're dropping an album for a game I grew up on, Jet Force Gemini. Really pumped; I'll post a review when they finish.
Jul 8, 2021 11:30:44 GMT -5
Shrikeswind: Or at least when my Top 3 from that game are on the Toobz. Just one more song to go.
Jul 8, 2021 11:31:13 GMT -5
Nester the Lark: I feel like I've been neglecting the forum more than usual lately. Been distracted by other things. I'll try to post something when I get the chance.
Jul 16, 2021 10:38:22 GMT -5
nocturnal YL: I don't have time to make posts. Atelier Firis DX takes forever to play. When I'm not playing, I'm in a read-only mode, reading guides and watching (unrelated) videos.
Jul 17, 2021 13:25:38 GMT -5
nocturnal YL: On that note, I'll probably make a review on the whole trilogy, so it will be a while until I talk about these games in details here. I can say Atelier Firis DX has far exceeded my expectation and has taken over Totori as my 3rd fav.
Jul 17, 2021 13:31:06 GMT -5