Smash Ultimate general impression Jun 16, 2018 10:43:30 GMT -5
Post by nocturnal YL on Jun 16, 2018 10:43:30 GMT -5
- I really like the many new Final Smash moves the fighters get. The additional support characters (Ness, Lucas, Shulk, Mega Man) are a nice touch too.
- Even though Smash Ultimate feels more like a tribute to Smash itself than to Nintendo games (unlike the older Smash games), I'm glad a lot of the fighters feel more like themselves now. 3DS/Wii U fixed a few (Kirby, Luigi, Ike…) but still had some out-of-character fighters like Falco (and Ganondorf, to some extent), and the situation has improved a lot here. They finally got rid of Landmaster, and Dedede now has a Final Smash that's actually from a Kirby game, Kirby Super Star Ultra.
- There are still many unknown Final Smash moves. I'm particularly curious about Young Link, who has never appeared in a Smash game with Final Smash before.
- I also want to see Meta Knight's Final Smash. I hope it's also from an actual game; the Planet Robobt version of Galaxia Darkness or Meta Knightmares seem to be good candidates.
- Meta Knight's Galacta Knight colour now makes it very obvious that it is indeed a Galacta Knight reference. Great!
- I like Mario's new taunts (the Cappy throw and the thumbs-up).
- I was worried that having Breath of the Wild Link would mean a lot of the Link moves are removed, as well as the loss of a left-handed fighter. Good to see Young Link's return to fill some of this void.
- Marth gets to be re-voiced by Midorikawa (something he's always wanted to do). Marth also speaks English in the overseas versions. Both should have happened in the last game.
- I'm glad to see all these new designs for the Zelda characters. Especially Zelda herself. 2D Zelda needs more love.
- I'm less thrilled on the return of Path of Radiance Ike. He's not ready to wield the Ragnell!
- On that subject, I hope to see an option to "save" my preferred alternate colours. I prefer some of the outfits over the original, including Radiant Dawn Ike, female Corrin, and Alph instead of Olimar.
- Speaking of Alph, I'm disappointed to see he's not a separate fighter. He and Rock Pikmin would fit the bill for Echo Fighters well.
- Ganondorf with a sword. I'm not too concerned about Ganondorf in general, but I definitely like this change.
- Custom moves aren't returning. I'm glad to see custom parts gone, but I'll miss custom special moves.
- I'm glad they removed Rock Smash instead of Flare Blaze. I can't think of any good use of Rock Smash outside of Home Run Contest.
- Wario's shoulder attack returns. I'm not upset about its removal in 3DS/Wii U, but I'm glad to see it back.
- A very general theme with this game is that they're actually listening to the fans. The general gameplay is made faster and somewhat more Melee-like, and a lot of the fighter moves are changed to fit the fans' preference (Ganondorf's sword and such). Of course, some fans will always complain no matter what…
- The known new songs thus far (list of soundtrack here) is very impressive! Here's hoping Sonic the Hedgehog and FINAL FANTASY VII getting some remixes, or at least new songs. This one got me a bit confused; it doesn't sound like Destiny as the list says…
- 8 players in stages that don't previously support 8-Player Smash! I can finally have 8-player matches in Coliseum!
- And for that matter, I can finally have matches with 8 pairs of Ice Climbers!
- The Bomberman Assist Trophy makes me wonder to what extentare they going to include elements from the guest publishers' other series. Are we going to see something from, say, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, or even Puyo Puyo? Or Tales? Tekken?
- I wonder if they're going to revive the Assist Trophy characters in Brawl who didn't return. I want to see Isaac and Jill. Maybe also Barbara.
- I wonder if we'll be seeing new stages. From what it looks, they seem to be including new stages only for new games that are too obvious to omit (Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild). That's just like Project DIVA Future Tone DX, which has an ancient song list with only three songs from 2015 or later (the 2016 and 2017 songs were added for DX), but is advertised as a 2017 game. I hope to see more (especially from a Kirby game that's completely unlrelated to Sakurai), but I can't think of anything as big as those two.
- It seems that guest fighters will get only one stage, so Windy hill and PAC-MAZE will probably not return. Whose idea was it to keep PAC-LAND? That's, I'd say, the worst stage in the entirety of Smash history, worse than even Hanenbow.
- I wonder what would happen to the last few remaining old stages we've yet to see. I suspect Kongo Jungle is returning, and is the reason why Melee's Kongo Jungle is renamed Kongo Falls. I also want to see the return of Fountain of Dreams, Mushroom Kingdom (Melee), Wooly World, Orbital Gate Assault and Gamer.